Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2022

Himbo Cumbrain

 

Whoo! Another one.

Looking back on my work I can tell that when I'm not holding myself to a certain standard or schedule, I let my practice slip. So here I wanted to make something, and I wanted to ensure the work was as easy as possible. I knew that for this one I needed a clear goal in mind, inspiration, and reference. If I let myself sketch around a lot, I get sidetracked and start floundering, so with this approach I was able to go right from sketch to inks to flats etc.

As I keep working on these, I can tell that I basically have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to rendering. I can pick colors fine, I know the theory and how to put it into practice, but when it comes to developing a piece past flats I get lost. I particularly want to study from artists like InCase, ittla, D8, and rhabarberei/Maren.

Here's a quick sketch I did. I wanted to see how fast I could go from sketch to flats (like about 1.5h, for those who are wondering). It's ok. A little more graphic than I usually do. Didn't realize until after the fact the design is very similar to my "Gender" piece. Really happy with how subtle I was able to make the colors--IIRC the hair is on the blue side of grey but reads as kind of warm because of how the other colors communicate.

Again, got to get some sketches/sketchbook stuff on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment